RE: DSM: And the right answer is.... was... games

From: Liz Reid&Errol Strelnikoff (
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 23:25:49 EDT

> Dear Alexander,
> So what, when the student is ready the teacher arrives?
> You just show up on
> this list and out of the blue start writing poetry and with
> one post shove
> this whole list across that divide between the 2d and the
> 3d till we all
> start writing this stuff from our hearts from our guts from
> our souls from
> our bones. Thank god you came. What took you so long?
> Warm Regards,
> Bill Richardson

I actually felt rather put out by Alexander's first posting. I think
I was the first to comment on my negative reaction to the relaxation
response. I didn't think that I was in any way attacking the value of
play or relaxation for children. I was just disappointed that the
only teen they asked what their goal was at school was someone who had
recently come from public school. I didn't find it very helpful for
those who may wish to understand how this kind of life effects
children who live it from birth.

The way I understand it, the need for relaxation is a result of having
lived in a far from relaxing environment. Perhaps the word is
stressful. Children in free-schools are self-regulated and when a
person is healthy and in a healthy environment their systems will
ensure that they are getting the amount of stress and relaxation that
they need. This will just be a part of what they are doing and
possibly never enter their consciousness.

I felt like Alexander was in rant mode and I don't mind being an
object of someone's rant if it makes them feel better, but I did want
to make that part clear.

Liz Reid

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email TO with the following phrase in the BODY (not the
subject) of the message: