DSM: And the right answer is.... was... games

From: Alexander / Michiru Streater (uigui@oregano.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 13:00:30 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: CindyK <cindyk@unitz.on.ca>
To: <discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org>
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 10:38 PM
Subject: DSM: Re: RE: DSM Video games

New bug here.

I've been watching this space for some time, though didn't get to see 60m.
people's reactions are interesting though. So I'd like to use this post as
the
point from where I can dive into your riviting discusion.

> I also found it interesting that so many people, myself included, reacted
> negatively to the statement the young lady made about SVS being relaxing.
> When I first heard her say that on the 60M piece, I thought to myself, "Oh
> no, now what are THEY going to think!?"

"
WHAT?

Relaxing ! I don't believe it! How do they find time to relax?

This is a school for heaven's sake.

Life 'aint so easy you know.

You should be weighed down not only with the books you carry to and from
school, but the mental burden of exam hell, extra homework, private tuorials
and weekly tests to check that you have learned something . . . . anything.

Kids these days!!! How will they learn anything?

These new fangled ideas. I don't know!It may be ok for other people's
kids, but not mine.

and another thing,

you can't get into a decent university unless you study, and study hard.

And don't leave it too late. Parents must begin early, really early.
Kindagarten
is leaving it late. Prime 'em and drill 'em from as early as possible. rant
rant
rant rant rant rant burst blood vessle here rant rant foam at mouth about
here
rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant eys glaze over rant rant rant rant
rant
rant pass out

"
Yep, that looks about right. THEY probably think something like this, along
with
"standards were higher when we had the cane", "bullying builds character",
"do what your teacher says if you know what's good for you".

I've been talking patiently to people for more than 10 years trying to
demonstrate
the futility of "the current education model" in the "IT" age. But it is
like trying to
describe a 3d world to a 2d being. Occasionally, they get it, and they never
see
their life in the same way again.

Discovering SVS, and this discussion group, is like an oasis in a desert,
where moronic
2d ist are as plentiful as grains of sand.

Alexander Streater