DSM: RE: DSM Video games

From: Ardeshir Mehta, N.D. (ardeshir@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 20:15:30 EDT

Hi there:

Anne Fasano wrote:

> Teaching in public school, I can honestly say that it's hard to teach a math
> class when half the students would rather be playing video games at the
> time. So let them play the games.
>
> Anne

Speaking as a person who has made a deep study of mathematics
(I have even written a critique of Goedel's Theorem, which you
can find on my home page), let me say I personally think math is
hugely over-rated. My wife, a very successful lawyer, knows
next to no mathematics (over and above balancing the chequebook,
and even that comes out wrong often enough with her). Einstein,
who made quite a few mistakes -- but we can discuss that separately
-- was right about this one thing, when he said: "As far as the laws
of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as
they are certain, they do not refer to reality." -- [Quoted in
J R Newman, *The World of Mathematics* (New York 1956).]

So, like Anne, I would heartily say, "Let them play the games!"

Ardeshir Mehta
Ottawa, Canada

Home Page<http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/education.html>