RE: DSM: 60 Minutes Piece

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 10:02:48 EDT

At Fairhaven, there is probably a group consisting of maybe 10% of the
school population playing video games about half the day. Also, all of the
computers are being used all the time, but that's a little harder to break
down, because for ever student that's playing a pure game, there's one who's
perhaps playing an "educational" game, one who's telnetting to a message
board somewhere, one who's working on his film project on our Adobe Premier
video workstation, and two who are on the internet.

Another factor is that video games go in and out of fashion. As soon as I
saw the snow at the beginning of the 60 Minutes piece, I knew video games
would be a big focus. With over 200 students all cooped up inside, a big
group of them are going to be playing them the whole time 60M was shooting.

Yes, it seems like 60M didn't really try in many respects, but at least they
are not Hard Copy and attempted to report what the school attempts to do.

-Joe