Re: DSM: 60 Minutes Piece

From: Scott David Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 07:50:40 EDT

  That's what I loved about the story. I liked the fact that "the piece
emphasized the elements of Sudbury that people in traditional schools
would find the most 'freakish'" and that the piece faced head-on the major
difference between Sudbury Schools and traditional schools -- the fact
that we see nothing at all wrong with playing video games.
  If the episode had concentrated on people at study, with noses buried in
books, or engaged in high-sounding academic debate, the piece would have
been -- if not dishonest -- at least easily misinterpreted. People out
there would have gotten the impression that at Sudbury Schools kids do
what they _want_ but that clearly the adults coerce or cajole them to
"want" the right things.
  Yes, video games were perhaps a touch exaggerated. But so, frankly,
were one-on-one tutorials. Cooking and camping trips weren't in the
piece, I don't remember the rough trash-talking culture of four-square at
all. They had a limited amount of time to get footage, and that footage
was used well -- in that they stuck to the message of what the SVS
challenge to education actually _is_.
  In fifteen minutes, we couldn't hope to both _describe_ and convince
people _of_ our radical view. I'm glad that the piece concentrated on
putting forward our views in stark terms. The only way to sell something
as radical as SVS in 15 minutes is to lie about it -- and I'm glad that
they didn't do that because then we'd have to spend LOTS of time, energy,
money convincing people that we are _not_ what they think we are. This
way we can spend our energy actually showing people the proof that this is
the best sort of education that they could hope for.

  I find it interesting that people who work _inside_ Sudbury Model
schools almost all agree that the piece was very positive, while
sympathetic people outside of the schools felt that the story was
manipulative.
  I think that perhaps this difference is because the schools themselves
are used to being totally misrepresented in the press. We're used to
spending much of our time patiently explaining to parents "no, we are not
the sort of school that you think we are." People outside of the schools
may think that our real task is _proving_ ourselves to people, but in fact
the majority of our time is spent _explaining_ ourselves to people.

  And yes, for many kids, playing video games (in the social framework of
the video-games stalls) is by far the most important part of their day.

--

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org

-- Rudyard Kipling