DSM: RE: 1st meeting advice?

From: Joseph Moore (joseph@ivorycc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 12:42:56 EDT

I'd joined our founder's group for DVS a couple years after Amy had started,
so I've got nothing to say special about first meetings - I wasn't there.
But, for any meeting with people who have a vague understanding of the model
(and that will be just about everybody at a public meeting) you'll need to
explain and give examples a LOT.

My own experiences:
- keep it positive - talk about how good the Sudbury Model is, not how bad
the traditional model is.
- SVS: 30 years in business, lots of successful students - this is your
trump card.
- Don't be discouraged by the people who don't get it - most people aren't
ready to trust their kids this much, just figure you're planting seeds and
let 'em go. Not to mention the out-and-out hostile - just let 'em go.
- Make a short list of points you need to make, whatever it is that gets you
fired up about the school - that kids learn best under their own steam, that
learning to navigate in a democracy is a critical skill, whatever it is that
get you excited. Stick mostly to those things - your enthusiasm is critical.

Good luck!

Joseph