Re: Re[2]: DSM: The Value of the Sudbury Model

From: Scott Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 02:44:00 EDT

David,

Scott Gray from the Sudbury Valley School here.

I think that you are misrepresenting the Sudbury Valley School.

Sudbury Valley actually does receive two _very_ small government grants
(the Eisenhower Grant for about $600 per year for teacher training -- we
spend it on first aid / cpr training, and the Title VI grant for computer
equipment for about $1000 per year). So, in fact, about 1/5th of one
percent of the School's funding _is_ from government sources.

Sudbury Valley is very pleased that it takes no grants from any source
that have any strings attached. However, the school itself has not taken
the very _political_ stand of rejecting government grants on moral
grounds. SVS is very pleased to advertise (on its web page) its collegial
relationship with the Blue Mountain Sudbury school in Oregon -- Blue
Mountain is publicly funded.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, David Rovner wrote:

> Alan . . .
> education is NOT a community responsibility, and should NOT be
> paid for through taxes.
> Education is a PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY, and should be
> paid for by parents -- If YOU want to help them, you will not be
> stopped.
> A society cannot decide everything it wants -- there is a limit to
> intervention, and the limit is INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS.
> I suggest we should try and stop governments paternalistic approach . . .
>
> I understand Sudbury Valley School is proud of existing 33 years
> by now, with NO government financial support whatsoever.
>
> David Rovner, Haifa, Israel rovners@netvision.net.il

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org
http://www.unseelie.org/
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual
certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human
life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an
archbishop so you can meet girls.

-- Matt Cartmill