RE: students breaking the law (was: DSM: The Value of the Sudbury Model)

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 15:28:10 EDT

Christopher,

I hope you don't think I'm being obtuse, but that's kind of a hard question
to answer. I guess it's safe to say that J.C. takes substantial fed, state
and local law violations somewhat more seriously than your average in-school
writup in terms of sentencing, but not generally because they violate laws
but because they are generally more serious incidents. It's mostly an
apples and oranges kind of thing, though.

For instance, one student repeatedly hitting other students is something
that J.C. (and ultimately Judicial School Meeting) can be a suspendable
offense, whereas a single violation of a local misdemeanor could be
considered trivial in comparison.

> Have there been any
> incidents of
> students breaking laws that have put schools at risk?

At Fairhaven, in my opinion, no. I have heard of shoplifting and other such
incidents invlolving other schools that brought the attention of police and
could have put the school at risk, but it was eventually worked out.

> Do any schools have
> policies regarding how and when to involve law enforcement
> authorities for more
> serious offenses?

We do not. That would be a pretty serious situation and I'm sure there
would be an emergency SM and that would be the body which would decide
whether to do that. In dire emergencies, of course any individual at the
school would call 911.

Joe