Re: DSM: The Value of the Sudbury Model

From: Christopher Weeks (clweeks@eclipse.net)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 07:20:32 EDT

Alan Klein wrote:

> You responded, "Marko, evidently you are guided by the statist ideology".
>
> What a leap! What he said was that he did not want individuals to have to
> come up with the tuition (on top of taxes they pay) for the schooling they
> want. Is your belief system one that holds that anything other than strict
> anarchic-Libertarianism is Statism?

That's what it sounds like to me. The essential difference between libertarians
and statists is that libertarians do not accept the right of The People to seize
the property of the individual. Statists do. To quote American Heritage,
statism is "the practice or doctrine of giving a centralized government control
over economic planning and policy." The forcible redistribution of the wealth
of the governed is one fairly clear indication of a statist system.

> If so, then I understand your response.
> If not, then I submit that all he is saying is that, if a society decides
> that education is a community responsibility that should be paid for through
> taxes, then democratic schools should be allowed to be part of that system.

Whether or not Alan is himself a libertarian, the decision of society that
education is a public responsibility is a statist decision. It's not even an
opinion.

But I'm not sure if tha's what you meant.

On a completely unrelated topic, what has SVS or other model schools done about
students who violate the law while at school?

Christopher Weeks