DSM: The Value of the Sudbury Model

From: Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 00:10:29 EDT

John, this is aimed mostly to you =)

I believe that in our culture or in any culture in that matter, children
tend to pick up the same professions their parents have. They look up to
their parents very much. If their parents are working class, the
children tend to pick up working class professions, and that goes to
middle class and owning class children as well.

The value of the Sudbury Model is to provide a wide variety of
alternatives to the professions that the parents can provide. The young
people in Sudbury model schools are exposed to lots of different
possiblities. This doesn't mean that the model undermines the role model
function of the parents but it gives some alternatives.

This is one of the main values I see in a Sudbury Model education, to
mix the social classes in an empowering environment. In public schools
the social classes are somewhat mixed also but because of the oppressive
environment that doesn't really do the job.

This is also the main reason why I would want our school to be
government funded, so that everybody regardless of their economic status
could take advantage of the model.

John, I've understood that the young people you are talking about are
mostly from working class and poor families. Without intervention of a
mixed social class group of young people in non-formal setting, the
chain of social class background cannot be easily broken.

Marko