RE: DSM: about Sudbury model

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 15:31:01 EDT

I can't make you derive sense from what I say, John. All of our kids leave
our school knowing how to read. They all leave school knowing as much about
math and science as they need to do what they want to do in life. Nobody
forces them to do anything.

Your observation that the group you have experience with only learns things
as a result of force points to confounding in your sample. It's that
simple.

What does the group you have experience with have in common? I can't answer
that question for you, but if you can answer it for yourself you might gain
an insight into what is confounding your sample. All I know is that my
group never had anyone tell them to read, and they all read better in
general than their conventionally-schooled counterparts.

Perhaps it would be fairer of you not to confuse the perceived lack of the
helpfulness of my comment (which from where I stand is entirely on point)
with your unwillingness and/or inability to grasp what I am saying than to
attempt to portray the intent behind my comment as "unhelpful".

Joe Jackson