Re: DSM: about Sudbury model

From: John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 12:07:38 EDT

Joe,

The fact that every child you are currently involved in has learned everything
they know without being forced to is a most unhelpful comment. The observation
stated had to do with diving into reading, math or science. It also meant to
indicate that a certain amount of competency was gained in each of these areas.
That fact that the children in your sample have all been self motivated to
learn whatever they have learned does not in the least address the statement
you reference.

I am currently desperately trying to understand learning styles, left brain,
right brain and all that stuff and am trying to figure out what it takes to get
kids to come up to me and say, hey ! can I learn physics ? Algebra ? How about
a few hours of Shakespear ?

If you have some group of children that are coming to you asking to achieve
excellence in these subjects, I sure would like to know how you found that
group of children. It may be in your area children just have nothing else to
do.

Unfortunately the kids I work with, mainly home school kids, have interests
that will not qualify them to get into anything. They like to make money doing
minimum wage jobs, they like dirt bikes, quads, fishing, hunting, camping out,
dancing, all kinds of sports and will stay at the ski mountain five days a week
for 18 weeks a year (yes my son did this for seven years) (we have practiced
real freedom with him).

These kids have pretty much have learned everything they know without being
forced to and no one will pay them anything more than a minimum wage and have
no interest in going any farther than minimum wage, which is about where most
of their parents are financially.

I believe these children deserve a better life than what welfare, which many of
the parents are on, and minimum wage jobs will give them. Very few of the kids
in our area go on to anything other than the military or work in the mills
around here, which are not only dead end jobs but ones that are being
eliminated year by year by the green peace people.

So if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I am not really
interested in just standing by and watching them all continue to wander around
with the use of drugs and alcholo being their highest goal.

John Axtell