Re: DSM: RE: Unschooling?

From: Freekids@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 02:26:48 EDT

Hi Joe,

This is Stuart from Cedarwood Sudbury School. Actually, I think Matthew has a
point when he distinguishes unschooling from attending Sudbury Valley School.
I love John Holt's books just as much as the next person, but most of the
unschoolers I know are getting a much different kind of education from what
students get at Sudbury Valley School. Here's what my fairly large sample of
unschoolers looks like:

--Lots of parental pressure, influence, initiation, and supervision regarding
the students' activities.
--Lots of parental control and supervision over students' social
relationships--partly logistical in nature, but partly protective.

In unschooling literature there is a constant refrain that unschooled kids
get plenty of "socialization." "Methink they doth protest too much." Few
parents will allow younger children to be unsupervised with a diverse group
of other children of various ages. Even at park days, lots of parents are
standing by to intervene in case of problems. Parents also limit whose houses
their children can go to, and when and how often. These generalizations do
not apply to every unschooler, but they do apply to most of the ones I know.

Stuart