DSM: RE: Re: name calling and swearing (FWD)

From: Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 23:38:28 EDT

Cindy, Casey,

With regard to swearing, Sudbury kids amaze me on two fronts:

1) They are highly aware and conscious of the social context they are in.

We let Jimmy & Josette know early on that swearing was not important to us,
but that what might be important to them was to realize that some people are
offended by things that their buddies might not care about. To my
amazement, my son today has a vastly higher developed awareness of that
context than I, who as recently as three weeks ago was seen by my unit
officer-in-charge flipping my unit non-comm-officer-in-charge off, do. (Of
course the OIC agreed with my assessment, but that's a whole 'nother story)

I have never, ever personally heard Jimmy use a swear word once in his
life - *as far as he knows*. Or heard him do it in front of another adult.
The only time I have ever heard him swear was when we was with his friends,
him not aware I could hear him, which brings me to point two:

2) On average, they swear incredibly well.

The time I heard this, he was with his buds playing Tony Hawk or something,
and his use of vulgarity was about the most highly crafted piece of
inflammatory language I have ever heard. While I would not like to recite
verbatim, the cadence of one particular line of explicatives amounted to
"well you can *verb* my *adjective*, *adjective* *participle verb*
*noun/body part*".

When I heard this poetically terse and Joycean diatribe spring from his
lips, I can tell you that the pride that welled up in my chest felt the same
as it did when he read for the first time (without Linda or I ever
suggesting he learn to read), when he first beat me at Super Smash Brothers
without me letting him, or when he did his first nose stall.

Of course, he was six at the time, and despite my prior assurances (to him
and myself) that I was not personally offended by swearing, I hypocritically
heard the Dad in me say "Jimmy, that's enough." into the adjacent room after
a couple more choice morsels.

He hears me, comes frantically tearing into my study wide-eyed and asking,
"YOU MEAN WE CAN'T PLAY VIDEO GAMES ANYMORE!?!!", to which I laughed and
responded, "no, I mean that's enough of 'you can *verb* my *adjective*,
*adjective* *participle verb* *noun/body part'". Thankfully relieved, he
said, "Oh", and ran back to his friends.

***

IMO, most SM kids are more socially-aware AND vulgarity-literate than their
conventionally-schooled counterparts by a factor of a decimal point or more.
In real life, both of these are a couple of the most important skills that
people who wish to work and live with other people can have.

Joe Jackson