DSM: How to do STUFF with Majordomo

From: Scott Gray (sdg@aramis.sudval.org)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 14:08:53 EDT

Hi all,

A lot of people have been manually sending unsubscribe and resubscribe
requests to me.

The majordomo server is designed to do these things automatically, and
people can save me and themselves some time and effort by doing it
themselves.

Please keep this message for your records, in case you should
need to change your email address one day.

The most common mistake made by people trying to issue majordomo commands,
is to send the commands to discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org. All this
does is get 200 other people to read your command. To actually issue a
majordomo command, please send the command to majordomo@sudval.org

The next most common mistake made by people trying to issue majordomo
commands, is to place the command itself in the SUBJECT line rather than
in the body of the message. All this does is confuse the majordomo server
and get it to send angry messages to both you and to me.

To submit something to the list, you should simply mail it to the
discuss-sudbury-model@sudval.org address. All persons subscribed to
the list will receive a copy.

To be added to the list, a user simply sends a message of the form
    "subscribe discuss-sudbury-model" by email to majordomo@sudval.org

To be removed from the list, send to the same address the command
    "unsubscribe discuss-sudbury-model"

To see the list of available files, which can be automatically sent
from discuss-sudbury-model archive, please send the command "index
    discuss-sudbury-model" by email to majordomo@sudval.org.

To receive one of the archived files, please send the command "get
    discuss-sudbury-model <filename>" by email to majordomo@sudval.org.

The "documented" commands which Majordomo understands and which are
for everyone to use are:

    subscribe <list> [<address>]
    unsubscribe <list> [<address>]
    which [<address>]
    who <list>
    info <list>
    lists
    help
    end

You can get detailed explanations of all of these by asking for
"help" from Majordomo.