Re: DSM: Re: name calling and swearing (FWD)

From: John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2001 - 13:38:10 EDT

Marko,

My take on swearing is pretty darn simple. Swear words are the words of the
uneducated. An educated person, or should I say a person with a good vocabulary,
can communicate the same concept, or worse, by using very nice language, or at
least no one would call it swearing.

Words take on the meanings we give them. To me "nigger" was never a "bad" word,
it simply was a word, same thing with "red skin" and "squaw". But now, in my area
of Eastern Washington there is a big effort afoot to eliminate the word "squaw"
from all street names, names of creeks, and other geographic things. Odd but
real.

I am unable to understand how people can be so judgemental about everything and
everybody. If I called someone a "bad name" in another language no one would say
anything but I would have known what I called that person and be none the worse
for wear. However, if I wanted to anger that person I would certainly need to use
a word that person would react to in anger.

John