Re: DSM: Re: name calling and swearing (FWD)

From: Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 23:32:11 EDT

This is an interesting topic, and I wanted to give it a few thoughts.
I'm just wondering what purpose does swaring serve. I'm thinking that
how do children express their anger before they learn to swear... they
probably express it physically, by hitting someone or breaking something
or just plain yelling. But when they learn the swearing thing, they can
express their anger by words and I think that is much more constructive
and acceptable way of expressing anger than the previous ones, so, is
learning to swear actually a natural advancement of expressing emotions?
Interesting thought...

Another alternative cause... When children hear someone else swearing,
it usually sounds very frightening, because angry adults are always
scary (even to adults). And how do the children handle the emotion of
getting frightened? If it is a really frightening experience, they
usually tremble and after that they probably cry and after that they
start making jokes about the frightening thing and laughing about it.
And I'm just wondering if the swearing thing is actually a way to get
rid of the fear. To imitate the source of the fear so that the child
will feel that s/he is in control of the situation.

I have one experience to share. I was looking after two young boys (my
cousins) aged 5 and 8. I know that both of these boys have witnessed a
lot of domestic violence and I would imagine that a lot of it has
included swearing. First, they said something silly, like "shit" and
when I didn't tell them not to, they went on and came up with a lot
worse words and when I still didn't stop them, they started to mock me
like I was the worst person in the world, but we all kept smiling
through this. They kept telling me what a "stupid sonofabitch" I was and
their vocabularity was awesome... The sad thing was that probably all
these words they had witnessed when listening their parents fight, they
just wanted to do it themselves so that it wouldn't feel so frightening.
After like ten minutes of this they stopped and we had a great evening
playing videogames and talking and no swearing was needed anymore.

Just a few thoughts...

Marko