Re: DSM: in defense of Waldorf

From: Emma Jones (emmalvj@arches.uga.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 11:47:15 EDT

Hello Everyone,
I would just like to put in a word in defense of Waldorf School. I
attended a Waldorf school from first through eighth grade and
absolutely loved it. It is not a Sudbury school, and now looking back
on it I can see how they could be inflexible in regard to their
philisophy, but it was a wonderful place to grow and learn. I would
disagree with Marko on the point that they are trying to indoctrinate
the children to be humanists. They exposet you to a lot of different
ideas and philosophies, but you are certainly free to disagree. I never
once in all my years at Waldorf heard a teacher tell me anything that
Rudolf Steiner said. He is not mentioned and is certainly not a
figurehead. I would say that Waldorf gives children more freedom than
public schools just becasue they respect children as human beings and
let them talk to each other, eat lunch outside and live. I just
completed a five week internship in a public school (I am pursuing a
degree in education) and the lack of freedon just for simple things,
like to go to the bathroom, really scared me. No, Waldorf does not have
the same freedom as a Sudbury Model School ,but I experienced it as
wonderful and life affirming and I am very grateful that I had the
opportunity to go there. Do not hesitate to send your children to
Waldorf if public school is the only other option, of course you could
always start a Sudbury School, we need more of them.
Just wanted to defend my wonderful schooling,
Emma