Re: DSM: RE: name calling and swearing (FWD)

From: John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 16:12:02 EDT

Mitch,

I was also referring to a mother taking offense at her son's language.

You are right I did not read the add, I just saw the very offensive response of
students in colleges that are supposed to be teaching our future leaders.

My basic point is that we are raising a nation of politically correct kids that
have very little concept of the right of free speech or the value of diversity.

If I find a neo nazi march to be offensive I can just not go to the parade route.
If I find a person offensive I simply do not need to associate with that person in
the future.

I would agree if a student or staff member is running around behind a student or
other staff member making offensive statements in a constant stream then that
would seem to be wrong. However if a student or staff member refers to certain
individuals that hold certain beliefs by the use of a certain phrase then I see no
problem with that.

My concern is that we are moving in a direction that does not allow free speech
nor free thought. I would hope that such a move would find little room in a SV
model school. Unfortunately I have noticed that some SV schools do not allow
"derogatory" comments or expressions of opinions "against" certain groups. I just
read an article about how one public school has certain rooms that are marked in a
special way where discussions about the homosexual lifestyle is protected, but
certainly no such rooms are marked to protect speech about anti-abortion life
styles.

I also do not understand how the words "dissent" and "abuse" come into the
discussion. I am simply talking about the use of words without trying to be
judgmental about them. There are almost no words or concepts that someone does not
feel offended by. The entire concept of a free school is very offensive to many as
is the concept of a public school. I am urging people to allow all views to be
expressed and not get upset about them. Being tolerant takes a certain level of
maturity but is something I think everyone benefits from striving toward.

So my take is this - we must work hard to ensure that students and staff have the
right to freely express their valid opinions even if those opinions offend others.

John

John