Re: DSM: RE: name calling and swearing (FWD)

From: John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 14:56:12 EDT

It would seem to me that not allowing name calling and swearing is a good
example of the lack of real freedom in our society in general. It would appear
that society and some free schools value freedom as long as it is politically
correct. Your son simply needs to understand that while he has a right to say
what he pleases others have an equal right to react as they wish.

I am sure that you, and no one that values the SV or free school model, would
want to limit your son's right to free expression of his thoughts with words he
finds appropriate to express his thoughts simply because you choose to find
certain words offensive.

I think it is similar to the reactions a number of students recently had on
college campuses to the add suggesting that slavery was a real and lasting
benefit to slaves. The student's position seems to be that freedom is fine as
long as it conforms to the concepts approved by all segments of society. This
attitude is similar to that of your friends that choose to have certain words
defined as offensive.

For the life of me I can not see the importance of a student being allowed to
tell someone else that they find their speech offensive. How judgmental can a
person get ? Just allowing someone to express such a judgmental thought seems
to go against everything of value in the model. Either we believe in the
ability of children to discover what is best for them to learn or we do not,
without the intervention of a bunch of adults.

John Axtell