DSM: RE: name calling and swearing (FWD)

From: Lea Mason (masonle@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 01:53:55 EDT

Casey,

What I have done with my kids is let them know when certain language offends
me. They have learned what is OK to say around Mom (and also neighbors,
relatives, etc), and that they can use different language with their peers
if they choose.

At least in a Sudbury school, anyone there is free to tell a speaker that
they find his/her language offensive, and to bring it to the Judicial system
if they feel a school rule has been violated. But it is up to the offended
person to speak up.

If I understand your message, you would feel OK if that language stayed at
school. Or perhaps better said, that it stays away from people who are
offended by it. That can happen.

I hope this is helpful.

Lea
Diablo Valley School parent