DSM: 101 Reasons to Leave School.html

From: Malc (dow@first-ask.de)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 19:10:03 EDT

101 Reasons to Leave School
HOME CONTACT

101 Reasons to Leave School

  1. FREEDOM.
  2. "The immediate case against compulsory school for adolescents is quite simply their barbarity: it is a triangle of hatred, humiliation and contempt." Frank Musgrove.
  3. "People must be educated once more to know their place." DfEE official responsible for National Curriculum planning.
  4. Because you CAN.
  5. Because life is too short.
  6. "I was just so BORED." Ellie (teenage home educator).
  7. Because you get treated like a child.
  8. Because it is shut off from the real world.
  9. Because you don't actually need me to list these reasons.
  10. You don't have to get up at 7.30 to catch the bus.
  11. Your mum telling you to go to bed so you can get up to catch the bus.
  12. You don't have to stand in the rain at the bus stop.
  13. Because you're too young to be in an institution.
  14. You don't have to wear a uniform.
  15. "Conform and be dull." J. Frank Dobie.
  16. Never be told to tuck your shirt in again.
  17. No more lumping a heavy bag wherever you go.
  18. It doesn't matter if you forget your PE kit.
  19. No more tedious lessons about things that don't interest you.
  20. "Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire." Yeats.
  21. No more being picked on to answer a question.
  22. No more humiliating silences when you don't know the answer.
  23. "We don't need no thought control." Pink Floyd.
  24. Pointless tests.
  25. "Nobody grew taller by being measured" Philip Gammage.
  26. Because you should set your own standards not measure up to other people's.
  27. You don't have to ask permission to go to the toilet.
  28. You can eat when you are hungry.
  29. You can drink when you are thirsty.
  30. You can talk when you feel like it.
  31. No more imposed homework.
  32. No more thinking up excuses for lost or forgotten homework.
  33. "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein.
  34. No more dozing off on uncomfortable desks, use a pillow instead.
  35. Petty rules.
  36. "Whatever their claims, schools are training most young people to be habitually subservient." Chris Shute.
  37. You can run in the corridors.
  38. Ditch those subjects you really hate.
  39. MORE FREEDOM.
  40. Because you are a person not a product.
  41. Spend longer on things you love doing.
  42. "Schools learned long ago that the way to keep children from thinking is to keep them busy." Everett Reimer.
  43. You can lie in the garden when it's sunny.
  44. You can go out in the snow.
  45. "...the best learning happens in real life with real problems and real people and not in classrooms." Charles Handy.
  46. No more sitting in the playground in a howling gale.
  47. Wear your hair how you like.
  48. Wear whatever jewellery you like.
  49. Wear whatever make-up you like.
  50. You can have a nap after lunch.
  51. Never having to throw your chewing gum away only half chewed.
  52. Avoid hearing "you can't take that subject it doesn't fit the timetable".
  53. "School is necessary to produce the habits and expectations of the managed consumer society." Ivan Illich.
  54. PE lessons in the rain.
  55. The last lesson on a Friday that lasts forever.
  56. "That children do not come to school by choice is another terrible indictment of our whole educational system." J. Kirkbride.
  57. Time to think your own thoughts.
  58. " One friend of mine shocked me when she said 'we stand up at the beginning of class to show respect for the teacher, because they're better than us'." Ann (teenager home educator).
  59. EVEN MORE FREEDOM.
  60. "Everybody spoke about you behind your back and played horrid tricks on you if you were clever, or if you were disabled in any way." Harriet (teenage home educator).
  61. Because the National Curriculum assumes you are all the same.
  62. So you can choose when you want to be around other people.
  63. To dream.
  64. Because what is out of the window is more interesting.
  65. Because it is your life, nobody elses.
  66. "I don't hold with schools, they get in the way of education." Granny Weatherwax.
  67. "I don't go to school because I think it would be a waste of my time". Beth (teenage home educator)
  68. Because a childhood is a terrible thing to waste .Mim (home educator)
  69. You don't have to do exams unless you want to and feel ready - if ever!
  70. So you can sit in your pyjamas all day!
  71. Why do you/did you want to leave school? Mail here.

Most of the quotations in this list (other than teenage quotes) from
'The Freethinkers Guide to the Educational Universe'
included by kind permission of:

Educational Heretics Press.

So what to do now?