Re: DSM: Un Nothing Non Anti No Huh-uh Not

From: Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 18:15:32 EDT

An interesting thread.

I don't know most of the references that Bill Richardson makes in his
post quoted below, but I do find his introductory point on the topic
of the distinction between the Sudbury model and alternative that come
up for comparison, very appropriate and insightful.

Several additional references come to mind:

Ricardo Semler whose book "Maverick" describes his conversion of his
business in brazil from a privately owned and managed operation to a
worker owned democratically run organization. Semler is well aware of
the Sudbury model now, and is, i believe, supporting the establishment
of a Sudbury model school in Brazil.

Dee Hock, founder of VISA, writes about the process of creation of
VISA in his book, Birth of the Chaordic Age. he is now active in an
organization called The Chaordic Alliance, which describes itself as
working "to develop, disseminate and implement new concepts of
organization which more equitably distribute power and wealth ..."

The Vermont Papers (Recreating Democracy on a Human Scale) by Frank
Bryan and John McClaughry, a prescription for restoring individual
power in government.

Don Yates (who may be on this list) and Mark Davis have written "YOUR
COMPANY DOES NOT EXIST (Notes on the Extraordinary Organization)" an
article that will appear in a forthcoming Sudbury Valley Journal
issue. Watch for it.

All of these speak with some focus on Bill's point. I am certain
there are many more.

To Laura's point about trying to find interest in Sudbury model
schools among people who have associated for another purpose, I offer
a note of caution. It is a difficult task for institutions that need
to work diligently at their principle purpose to adopt a secondary
aim. That carries the risk of diluting the focus, the effort and
energy required, and bringing down the primary role, which in the
examples cited, appears to be common faith and its practice. Further,
should there exist interest in the secondary purpose (schooling
children), an association with an organized "faith" no matter how that
might be defined, will have the effect of keeping away others who
might be interested. This does not detract from the idea of searching
for like minded parents or others among those one meets during daily
pursuits.

Mike