Re: DSM: New to homeschooling and SVS

aamb@mediaone.net
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:46:14 -0500

Julie,

Your story is so familiar and so moving. Don't you feel like you've been
doped or hypnotized or something for years, and suddenly someone just threw
cold water on you and you perked up and recognized some deep truths that
you've known all along? That inner knowledge is the real power of the
Sudbury model -- we are just implementing it. You and your daughter have
that knowledge, and can implement it to.

You are being de-programmed -- by yourself, and by events. And now what you
have to look forward to is isolation from most of the community around you
when it comes to discussing these details, and to the support of the quiet,
personal understanding you have with your daughter. I'm here to tell you
that it will only grow! And over time, if you keep your eyes peeled (and if
you learn how to talk about it without getting into fist fights or
handcuffs) you will find like minded people. You have to keep looking and
keep your mind open, and you *will* find them.

You also face a succession of challenges like your quandry over Composition.
I don't think you can solve them one at a time -- you've got to devise a
strategy that deals with the authorities, with your ex-husband, and whoever.
I don't know what will work best, and in the absence of a local Sudbury
school, your best bet is probably in the un-schooling community, who is
going to have more specific experience with how to keep the authorities
placated. Their kind of reasoning might be the best to use with your
ex-husband as well, I don't know.

But I want to point out a harder fact, which took me a while to understand
eleven years ago when I started down this path. You said,

> Obviously democratic school students learn how to write well.

and it's true. But they don't learn how to write the same as each other, or
the same as some test -- or the same as you hope they will. If you and the
school system get out of the way, your daughter will define her own
relationship to writing that serves her needs and passions. But please
don't think that if you could somehow plop the entire Sudbury Valley School
into the middle of Jacksonville and Shar could be going there that at the
end of the year, or the end of five years, she will emerge prepared to pass
the "Florida Writes" standardized test, because it ain't necessarily so.

My point is that this is not some alternative way to get the same education.
This is not even education as you know it. It's more, and it's wonderful.

Alan Mitter-Burke