Re: DSM: I Quit!

Tammy Inman (tammyinman@hotmail.com)
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:19:03 -0500

I am still skeptical that true reform can ever occur in public schools.
Public education reform seems to occur in a cyclical nature.
For example:
1. Ms X thinks of an innovative reform
2. Everyone laughs at Ms. X.
3. Through perserverance Ms. X convinces others that her idea has merit.
4. Threatened by the change proposed by Ms. X's idea, the teacher's union
officially opposes it.
5. Despite the massive propaganda put out by the union, Ms X is still able
to convince others that her idea has merit. However, she is told that there
is no money to implement her idea.
6. Ms. X finds someone high in the district pecking order to support her
idea and finally gets funding.
6. In order to actually receive the funding Ms. X must be willing to change
several key aspects of her reform, and think of a way it can be
quantitatively measured.
7. Ms. X must show immediate positive results or her reform will be
declared a failure and funding will cease.
8. Even if she can show positive results, her supporter in the district
will be replaced with someone new. In order to prevent the predecessor from
receiving any further credit, the new administrator will cancel any programs
he/she had sponsored. Ms. X will lose her funding. Ms. Y will now receive
funding for her idea.

My point is that maybe it is possible to make school reforms, but it is rare
for them to take the form you originally envisioned and it is even rarer for
them to last.

At one point I even toyed with the idea of creating a charter school based
on the Sudbury model. However, I have the feeling that during the process
of getting it approved it would change to the antithesis of SVS.

Tammy