DSM: Sudbury: philosophy or model?

Patrick Quealy (quealy.2@osu.edu)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:57:43 -0500

Hey all ... I just subscribed, but this seems like a pretty freeform and
inviting place. :-)

I'm in my sophomore year at The Ohio State University, a sprawling,
50,000-student strong citadel of bureaucracy. I have over 100 credit hours
under my belt, of which *maybe* 15 were useful. My twelve years in private
schools didn't leave me with a much better taste in my mouth, though. I've
been looking for advocates of sensible alternatives to the mainstream for
many years, and only recently have I come across unschooling / deschooling
/ truly "alternative" educational practices.

Now I'm trying to sort them out. :-) Near as I can tell, Sudbury schooling
is more of a philosophy than a practice. That is, the line between Sudbury
and non-Sudbury is unclear, more a matter of how a community approaches
education than a set of ways of doing things. Is this correct? How, if at
all, would one differentiate Montessori, Waldorf, and Sudbury-model
schools? I would like to get heavily involved when I graduate (or maybe
before) in alternative schooling, quite possibly as a career, but I'm not
sure what's what. Are the differences between these models a matter of
degree, of different philosophies, or what? Or is it all just different
names for one united front?

Patrick Quealy