Re: DSM: why democracy

Ben Robins (ben_robins@hotmail.com)
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:56:44

>My question specifically addresses the political foundation upon which the
>SV
>model seems to be based, democracy as compared to a republic form of
>government
>which, in general, is practiced here in the United States.

>Two different political systems.

Political System A: Democracy

Do you mean...

1) Majority rule

2) Majority rule, limited by the rule of law

3) A process in which all people have an equal say and the individual is
respected

4) other?

Political System B: Republic

Do you mean...

(definitions are from www.dictionary.com)

1 ) A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern
times is usually a president.

2) A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens
who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to
them.

3) An autonomous or partially autonomous political and territorial unit
belonging to a sovereign federation.

4) other?

When defining what you mean by "a republic form of government" please
include in your response more than the words "a republic form of
government."

Ben