Re: DSM: why democracy

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:41:12 -0800

Alan,

The question I am asking is why is the democratic model which is so important
in the SV model preferred and a teaching model than a republican model? There
is a basic philosophical difference between the two methods of arriving at
rules and decisions. My question is why does the SV model prefer the
democratic paradigm to a republic paradigm?

The question, at least in my mind, has nothing to do with the number of people
involved but which provides a better learning environment for students. So -
does anyone know why the model is based on a democratic model rather than a
republican model ?

Certainly size should not impact a decision so basic as the form of decision
making is best for a learning environment.

I would hope that for this discussion it would be possible to agree that a
republican form of government is totally different from a democratic form of
government. It is most unfortunate that the public school system in the United
States teaches that we are a democracy when we are simply not.

John