Re: DSM: Can it be too big?

Msadofsky@aol.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:41:07 EST

Well, Scott is right: the School will decide from time to time how it feels
about its size, and is unlikely to start out so large that it is "too big".
On the other hand, it is nice to know, if money is no object when you are
starting out, what size building and grounds is optimal for your target
population. Unfortunately (or not) money usually is something that must be
considered, and people tend to start with relatively modest buildings.

SVS has 210 students. We have a lovely community. The prevailing wisdom is
that 150 is the tops for a community, and we give the lie to it, but we have
no idea what would happen at 300 -- or even 250, though I tend to think 250
quite do-able, and therefore suspect 300 might be. But that is idle
speculation on my part. We only know about 210! Starting out this size,
however, would have been even more challenging than starting out turned out
to be for us.
Mimsy