Re: DSM: RE: A New Kid on the Block!

M & P Bredden (bbs1@iprimus.com.au)
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:53:25 +1000

Hi, I joined the list recently hoping to learn as much as I can about
Sudbury schools. This post spark my attention. Greg - I would love to hear
more about your experience at Booroobin Sudbury School. We have recently
booked our children in there to have a 'try out week' in May. (They are so
excited and can hardly wait) We live near Townsville, so the move is a big
deal for us, but hopefully it will pay off for our children.
I really feel public awareness of the Sudbury model of schools needs to be
increased. I was lucky enough to stumble on the Boorboobin Sudbury School
web site. Anyone we talk to about the school has no idea that anything like
this even exists. I felt very helpless in regards to our children's
education before discovering the web site. We have spent years trying to
figure out what was 'wrong' with our children, we had never even gone down
the trail of thought that it was something wrong with the schools and not
our children. Since our eyes have been opened so brilliantly about this, I
have observed so many other parents trying to work out what is 'wrong' with
their problem children, involving trying to find 'labels' for them, many
many hours/weeks/months of special classes on top of the already huge amount
of time in school. It is almost heartbreaking. But as we know personally,
you do the best you can until you learn a better way. I am very grateful we
have been shown a better way, but have wonder if other parents are going to
be lucky enough to stumble across the right information as we have?

regards,
Paula B.