Re: DSM: Can it be too big?

Scott Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:21:15 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Marko Koskinen wrote:

> I feel that in Sudbury Valley there are already too many people for them
> to feel truely empowered to participate in the decision making
> processes. But the other side of the coin is the social environment and
> I think that in SVS there are students who can't find people who they
> could relate to easily enough. So, as a conclusion, I believe SVS has
> quite an ideal number of people.
>
> Of course my experience in the School has been too short to really have
> a deep understanding of the situation there, but I base my arguments on
> my intuition and feelings.

When Sudbury Valley had 70 students, the prevailing view was that the
school was "about the right size, maybe it could grow by another 10
students or so." When the school had 90 students, the prevailing view was
that the school was "about the right size, maybe it could grow by another
10 students or so." When the school had 120 students, the prevailing view
was that the school was "about the right size, maybe it could grow by
another 10 students or so." When the school had 150 students, the
prevailing view was that the school was "about the right size, maybe it
could grow by another 10 students or so." Right now, few add the "another
10 students or so," but that has more to do with the physical demands for
space in a small building than anything else... Though some people do ask
about building an additional building so we could add some more space, and
maybe "another 10 students or so."

In other words, this community has the tendency to like itself at the size
it is. I long since stopped trusting my intuition that "SVS is just the
right size."

> Marko

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org
http://www.unseelie.org/
I like to believe that people in the long run are going to
do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I
think that people want peace so much that one of these days
governments had better get out of the way and let them have
it.

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower