Re: DSM: Can it be too big?

Mike Sadofsky (sadofsky@mediaone.net)
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:18:51 -0500

I'd l;ike to try to address this from a somewhat different
perspective.
SVS chose this democratic method of governance in the School Meeting
at least in part because that system remains in play in many
communities in this part of the country. Towns with populations on
the order of 20,000 people continue to govern themselves with a "town
meeting" held annually over several days/evenings, where propositions
of consequence are debated and voted upon in much the fashion that SVS
uses in the SM.
I would not presume to suggest that a Sudbury model school of 20,000
is viable, but I would suggest that at 200+, SVS has not approached a
limit to growth from the perspective of SM or JC size.
Mike