DSM: my intro & ? on incorporating

Alan or Laura Gabelsberg (argable@swbell.net)
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:33:49 -0600

(Same post under “hi everyone”) – sorry it got so long…

Hello Pooja and Jason and ?? everyone!

I am also new and have been lurking and listening to the conversations for
about 2 or 3 weeks now. My name is Laura Gabelsberg. I am learning so much
about the Sudbury model and I am so excited about it. I taught in the
public schools for 3.5 years and I am currently being a Mom. I have 2
infant boys - ages 2 years old and 6 months old. So much has happened since
I left public school teaching. For a while I considered homeschooling my
boys, but I worry about the isolation, and I am so passionate about working
for what I believe is significant change in my chosen field that I have made
a decision to try to build a new "school" which my children and anyone else
who will join me can attend.

I have always had a vision of doing something "different" in education and
have always felt the current system is inadequate. Now that I have found
this model, I have a new direction to take. I am so grateful that this
model exists, because I know I don't have to "invent the wheel."

I have much to learn. I am reading Kingdom of Childhood and The Sudbury
School Experience, as well as a book on how to start a non-profit corp. I
am also reading some of John Holt's work, not to mention my spiritual
reading which takes me all across the spectrum as well. (You have lots of
time to read when you're nursing a baby by the way.) I have lots of
questions to ask but have been wondering if this is the right forum.

I am in Houston and I would like to form a "start-up group" for a new school
here. I am in need of some guidance from sources like this and any others
that anyone can share. I am working on a little website just to pass on
the Sudbury link to interested fellows I meet, as well as any other links I
feel are pertinent. I hope to have it functioning within a few days.

Is it too early to begin the process of incorporation? At this point I feel
my main goal should be to continue reading the Sudbury materials and visit
the school, but are there other things I should do? What might they be? I'm
open to hearing any suggestions.

Laura