DSM: about Sudbury model

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:20:02 -0500

People have been saying that what I've been proposing is not consistent
with Sudbury model. I'm just wondering why is that, because all that
I've suggested is not ment to be implemented without the whole school
community voting for it. I'm not planning to implement my own ideas "by
force".

If I suggested these things at SVS School Meeting and they were voted
for, would SVS cease to be a Sudbury Model school? If so, then I would
like to hear what really makes a Sudbury Model school?

Thank you Scott for sharing your thoughts, they were valuable for me. I
totally agree with you on the issue about adult power over children. And
I also admire the way the sudbury model tries (and does to a great
degree) to minimize this effect that I call "adultism". This is also my
goal and your post sure gives me lot to think about, cause what I
thought was actually the opposite of your thinking. I will give myself
more time to think about it and come back when I've thought about it
enough.

Thanks go also to everyone else who has participated in this discussion,
I will continue thinking about this and will respond soon.

Marko