Re: DSM: JC

Alan Klein (Alan@klein.net)
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 13:45:59 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Jackson" <shoeless@jazztbone.com>
Alan said:
> > Many of us have claimed that his ideas, and others like them, constitute
> > "psychotherapy". I disagree. It would certainly be coercive
> > intrusion if an
> > outside force (staff, parents, etc.) imposed it on the SM. I find
nothing
> > unworkable, however, about a SM deciding to operate along the lines
Marko
> > suggests.

Joe Responded:
> Which ideas are you talking about, Alan? I think people have pointed out
> the psychotherapeutic aspects of mediation, and nobody has inferred that
> mediation is not a quintessentially therapeutic process.

In this case, I was specifically responding to Bruce, who said,
"School-sanctioned psychotherapy and forced consensus do *not* fall within
the model. Sudbury believes in individuals' right to their own thoughts and
opinions: conflict resolution via psychologizing, and decision-making via
unanimity, violate this foundation."

> But I might have missed a post in which consensus decision-making models
> were claimed to have psychotherapeutic qualities. That's an interesting
> idea - is that what you think?

No, or at least no more so than any model which repects individuals' rights
can be considered to have psychotherapeutic qualities.

> Do you really find the suggested laissez-faire mediation process as the
sole
> enforcer of individual rights "workable", Alan?

No, and I don't think I said I did, so I am a bit surprised at the "really"
in your question.

~Alan