Re: DSM: Filtering software

Scott Gray (sgray@aramis.sudval.org)
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 10:58:43 -0500 (EST)

SVS does not use any filtering software. We have had no cause to question
this policy.

Generally, people tend to live up (or down) to what you expect from them
-- if you treat people as persons who _need_ filtering software, they are
more prone to act in outrageous or immature ways. But if you trust them
to remain within the bounds of good taste in their public behavior (and
you act in ways that show you trust them), people are quite unlikely to
betray that trust.

For the record, filtering software is _not_ the law in the US. Rather, it
is a condition for schools and/or libraries to be able to collect large
amounts of money from the Federal government to help pay for their
Internet connections.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Spagnolo Dario wrote:

> I am sorry to disrupt the discussions but I have a question to ask. I
> couldn't find the answer on the Internet but I guess I didn't search very
> well. Does the Sudbury model use any kind of filtering software? This
> question is mainly for schools outside the US because I think it recently
> became a law in the US, didn't it? If so, which software? Do you recommend
> it? Would you do without it?
> I hope it's not too off-topic.
>
> Thank you
> Dario

> This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
> delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
> For further information visit:
> http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

--Scott David Gray
reply to: sgray@sudval.org
http://www.unseelie.org/
Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

-- Laurie Anderson