DSM: JC

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 07:45:40 -0500

> SVS bases it's philosophy on some presumptions about human nature.
> According these presumptions are that some things are good for the
> students and that some are not. And I'm just interested why cannot we
> add one more presumption to the model? SVS doesn't currently make any
> presumptions about feelings (If I've understood correctly) and this,
> while understandable, is not a thing that couldn't be changed. Or is it?
> Why aren't feelings included in SM? Why is there so much opposition
> against "psychologizing"? Or have I misinterpreted?

In my opinion, feelings as well as the emotional basis of relationships
between people *are* included in the model to the precise extent that any
subject matter is. The school presents a rich variety of resources to
students who have emotional needs, and students seek the emotional counsel
of other students and staff all the time.

Why should there be a move to institutionalize? Much of the model is, for
me, based on one main idea: students react to externally-applied curricula
by shutting down. Why is it a foregone conclusion for you that the model
needs to contradict the successful student-led environment and suddenly
select one or two approaches to psychological therapy to take on as an
externally-applied (non-student-led) curriculum?

Is it that you are not seeing what you expect in the culture? If so,
perhaps your expectations are based on your own life experiences and issues.

I think there's a good chance that you are looking at a well-balanced group
of kids that get constant reinforcement from the culture and each other, and
you are mistaking the absence of the overt application of therapy for the
absence and even institutional avoidance of therapy.

The Sudbury environment is an extremely therapeutic environment. The school
does not perform therapy on children. If one cannot understand that these
ideas do not conflict, I can understand why one would make the mistake that
feelings are not included in the school.

I have commented on mediation in recent posts, so I'll just leave it there.

Joe Jackson