Re: DSM: DEMOCRACY, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AND STANDARDIZATION IN EDUCATION

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:12:40 -0800

Walter,

While I seem to think I am a Republican, Bush may change that :) I value the
philosophy of Libertarians. Your example is a good one. Certainly having worked
with kids in Boy Scouts and other areas I am quite aware of how capable they
can be if adults get out of the way.

The point I am raising, and trying to get a grip on for my own applications, is
this:

That girl certainly had to have some training from someone. My point is that
kind of skill is not just "gotten". The learning was by someone showing her
that "this" is the way to do it - Robert's Rules or whatever. So here we have
"influence", "guidance" or what would SV call it?

So what I am trying to say if you took 20 kids and put them into a room and
gave them no direction I would be quite surprised if they called a meeting to
order and followed Robert's Rules. So what is our role in "forcing" them into a
role. Will the next child just decide to do away with Robert's Rules or has the
"democracy" forced the next child to follow the Rules?

Just some rambling muddling.

Your statement about democracy being good in small groups certainly will give
me something to think about. The fact that I have lived my life in
organizations that were participatory dictatorships kind of makes me more
comfortable with that paradigm than a democratic one. But I keep searching to
find a model that produces results that I find more satisfactory than a
participatory dictatorship or a democratic model. The Republic model is
probably closer to the participatory dictatorship than the democratic model.

My recent personal experience with small democratic groups who organized a
"private" school funded with public money was not good. A small group of people
democratically took control of the organization and turned it into their
vision. If you did not like their vision that was simply too bad. I still
struggle with the impact a majority has on the rights of a minority.

Your Friend, John