Re: DSM: Re: Judicial Committee and School Meeting

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:14:39 -0800

Marko Koskinen wrote:

> But if somebody/something (community) gives itself the right to punish
> that person for what s/he did, then it becomes a moral issue.

Marko,

The right to punish a person has, in my philosophy, noting to do with morality but
with power.

While they may be able to punish me for something I have done which I think is moral
their ability to do so, in my mind, does not make them "right" or moral. In fact much
punishment that "society" dishes out, is again from my point of view, immoral.

As you design your school I suggest you ask just how many "rules" you really need.
God only needed to make 10. It may be because people choose not to obey those 10 they
perceive the need for millions :)

In developing policy and guidelines for our school I have found the need for a
minimum of rules. In fact almost everything I write empowers people and encourages
them to do something - not prevent them from doing something.

I have been writing policy for over 30 years and I normally find that the best policy
expands people's visions while limiting them from getting themselves, or others, into
dangerous areas without proper review. After all the only reason to have policy is to
have a set of parameters within which to freely operate and then know when to call a
meeting of the appropriate individuals when you need to violate the policy.

Hope this stimulates your thought process. I have a difficult time knowing if what I
write is actually stimulating thought on the list or just bumming some out, which is
certainly not my desire as it would have no positive result at all.

John Axtell