Re: DSM: Genes and environment (was: About TCS)

John Axtell (newlife@theofficenet.com)
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:48:43 -0800

 "Walter Thiessen (Connweb)" wrote:

> Why do childrens' needs have to be figured out in advance by adults? That's
> the question most
> (but not all) educators don't even broach to themselves, in their
> intellectual arrogance. Their failure to ask that question is the basis for
> an extremely dangerous assumption...that adults must do all the initial,
> "important" thinking and planning for children.

I do not believe it is intellectual arrogance for educators to assume that
children's needs have to be figured out in advance by adults. Nor do I think
it is a dangerous assumption that adults must do all the initial "important"
thinking and planning for children.

In fact if this was not done I doubt that any children would even live nor
would they be exposed to anything except what their parents were interested
in. It is folly to think that children should not be forced into a broad range
of experiences. The question is only how that force is to be applied and what
range of experiences to expose them to.

John Axtell