DSM: RE: JC and SM

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 00:28:33 -0500

Marko,

This sounds like mediation, which several of our schools (including
Fairhaven) have in place as an optional alternative or adjunct to JC. So
far, I don't believe any of the schools have decided to use mediation
exclusively.

While I don't have a problem with mediation as an option, I have a big
problem with the idea of it being the sole option. A person who perceives
themselves victim of a grievance should not be required to go through a
mediation, "problem solving" or any other therapeutic session in order to
exist at the school peacably.

Notwithstanding the benign nature of mediation or "problem solving sessions"
as a conflict resolution tool per se, as a sole means of resolving disputes
it would represent a *mandatory class* for those who would assert their
right to exist free of harassment and injury; an externally-applied human
relations curriculum.

While the JC does require some involvement from the victim in order for them
to use the process to assert their right to exist free from harrassment and
injury, at least it does not attempt to force the victim/plaintiff (or the
defendant, in fact) to engage in what is in effect a counseling session,
like a mandatory mediation process would.

Furthermore, I dispute the underlying assumption, which is that the school
should preemptively attempt to solve problems individuals are having that
may or may not be causing them to violate the rights of others. Learning
how to behave in a community is no different than learning anything else in
the school.

To expand your line of reasoning, Marko, when someone does not know
something, there is usually some reason for it, and a school that attempts
to "solve" why students are not ready to learn something is training
students to rely on external intervention and motivation.

Sudbury schools seek to be the antithesis to schools that cultivate such
dependencies.

JC (the embodiment of community limits on individual rights) focuses on the
"results of the problem" just like the limits of not knowing something in
life impact directly from (and speak to) the results of not knowing it.
These are the precious real-life experiences that inform the student of
their limitations and allow them to initiate the discovery of their inner
self.

External curricula (like the mandatory mediation scenario I am
hypothesizing) drowns out the inner self.

Students should be allowed to develop the internal motivation to overcome
reasons they are violating the rights of others just as they are allowed to
develop the internal motivation to learn anything else. While mediation,
like classes, are excellent tools, they should not be a mandatory element of
the Sudbury environment.

Joe Jackson
Fairhaven School