DSM: RE: Genes and environment (was: About TCS)

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 01:18:50 -0500

> But you'll have to base your actions in some kind of opinions, don't
> you? It just sounds like you're saying that you can behave objectively
> ignoring all your own opinions.

What I said is that it is a question of priorities. If, in my opinion, it
is of supreme importance that I treat my grandson with the same love,
compassion and respect that I do my other grandson, then the opinions I
cannot help but to have drawn about nature versus nurture are minute by
comparison.

> .. And if you say that you disagree with
> TCS theory so that it's not good for all kids according to your own
> experience

I never said I disagree with TCS. I said I had some questions about it. I
then tried to bring up some questions I had about it.

> , then how can you let that opinion not guide your behavior?

I don't understand your question, Marko. I built and helped start a Sudbury
Model school. I have expended an inhuman amount of energy towards my
respect for children as perfect beings. Are you suggesting that I cannot
possibly be complex enough to respect children that I feel are born with
varying degrees of self-preservation instinct?

> Maybe you can, I'm just puzzled how. All our thoughts are opinions and
> beliefs and our behavior bases on them. It just sounds to me like you're
> saying that there are some opinions that don't affect your behavior and
> some that do, am I correct?

I'm saying that I think I know how to parent, and that part of parenting is
doing the right thing in spite of any mixed feelings you have about a child
or situation. Being a parent is very complex. Have you any children?

> And also it sounds like you're giving professionalism a function of a
> mask that protects you from letting you behave on your opinions, did I
> understand you wrong?

Being a professional means doing the right thing in less-than-perfect
situations. I don't follow you on the mask thing.

> The point I was trying to make was that we should know that our opinions
> affect our behavior, wheter we want it or not.

And my response is that the degree to which one's opinions affect their
behavior varies according to the level of professionalism of the individual
taking action. I don't really understand where you're trying to go from
here.

> Genes certainly have
> something to do with behavior, but we don't have any certainty what kind
> of behavior does it affect and how and I don't think we can actually
> seperate the effects of genes and environment on behavior.

I don't think anyone has insinuated that it is a science, Marko. I'm just
saying I have an opinion. My opinion might be a little different than
yours, because I might have different experiences than you.

Joe Jackson