DSM: Genes and environment (was: About TCS)

Marko Koskinen (marko@vapaus.net)
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 15:27:01 -0500

> My experiences of having two older stepchildren adopted seperately, two
> step-grandchildren from different fathers, as well as two of my own children
> give me a unique outlook on the nature versus nurture issue. I cannot help
> but to draw conclusions based on the differences and similarities in these
> children's behavior since the day they were born. But that I have opinions
> in no way impacts the manner in which I function as father, stepfather and
> step grandfather. And that carries to the school.

But you'll have to base your actions in some kind of opinions, don't
you? It just sounds like you're saying that you can behave objectively
ignoring all your own opinions... And if you say that you disagree with
TCS theory so that it's not good for all kids according to your own
experience, then how can you let that opinion not guide your behavior?
Maybe you can, I'm just puzzled how. All our thoughts are opinions and
beliefs and our behavior bases on them. It just sounds to me like you're
saying that there are some opinions that don't affect your behavior and
some that do, am I correct?

And also it sounds like you're giving professionalism a function of a
mask that protects you from letting you behave on your opinions, did I
understand you wrong?

The point I was trying to make was that we should know that our opinions
affect our behavior, wheter we want it or not. Genes certainly have
something to do with behavior, but we don't have any certainty what kind
of behavior does it affect and how and I don't think we can actually
seperate the effects of genes and environment on behavior.

Marko