DSM: RE: Originality

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 07:57:18 -0500

Cindy,

Don't get too bent out of shape over this issue. If you are going to cut
and paste from another site, just get their permission first. If you are
typing in your own words, don't worry about it.

I am giving you permission to use the FAQs from fairhavenschool.com. Let me
know if there's anything else. (A coincidence, but I am in the midst of an
overhaul of the FHS website - should be up in time for :60)

By the way, how are things coming up there?

Joe Jackson
Fairhaven School

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
[mailto:owner-discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org]On Behalf Of CindyK
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 2:52 PM
To: discuss-sudbury-model@aramis.sudval.org
Subject: DSM: Originality

Hi everyone,

I am going to be putting together a website for my proposed school. I have
looked at many of the other schools' websites and I have read a lot of
information about the school. I am about to read a whole lot more with the
much anticipated arrival of my kit! Yeah!

My question is: How original do I have to be in what I print? I know not
to copy other's ideas directly. I am just afraid that since I have
saturated my brain with all the info in the last few months - how can I be
sure that I won't be saying something in a way that someone else has? Does
it really matter? I have read Fairhaven's FEQ's and I really like the
questions they have there. What if I want to include the same questions?
Then of course, the answers are the same too and there are only so many ways
to say that the children are free. How original do I have to be?

Should I spend a great deal of effort on originality or is it okay if the
material sounds similar because it is all the same topic? I have never been
in a situation like this and I don't know how it all works.

Thanks in advance,

CindyK