DSM: RE: About TCS

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:34:18 -0500

> And if we take this
> attitude to a question about wheter some aspects are genetic or not, we
> just cannot know, and that leaves us to the conclusion that we must try
> to assume that education has something to do with it, because if we
> assume that some things are genetic then we easily ignore those things
> and don't even try to affect them

I think that depends on the professionalism of the individual. Some folks
will naturally have opinions about nature v. nurture based on the fact that
they have certain experiences and cannot help but to have an opinion.

Whether or not they hold opinions is completely removed from the degree of
professionalism with which they dispatch their duties of staff, parent,
grandparent or whatever.

I agree that nothing can be known, and while it is of great import to remain
consistent as a staff or parent, it is just as important not to ignore one's
experiences.

My experiences of having two older stepchildren adopted seperately, two
step-grandchildren from different fathers, as well as two of my own children
give me a unique outlook on the nature versus nurture issue. I cannot help
but to draw conclusions based on the differences and similarities in these
children's behavior since the day they were born. But that I have opinions
in no way impacts the manner in which I function as father, stepfather and
step grandfather. And that carries to the school.

Joe Jackson
Davidsonville, Maryland