RE: DSM: borrowing some material

Joe Jackson (shoeless@jazztbone.com)
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:04:21 -0500

Hi, folks!

Here's my take on the "grades" issue.

As recently as ten years ago, a case could be made that not having a GPA or
a class ranking constitutes at the very least an impediment when applying to
college admissions departments. That being said, all of the Sudbury Valley
literature states unequivocally and repeatedly that no SVS grad has ever
been unsuccessful in gaining admission to any college they wish.

The reason this is so is that colleges (especially good ones) have *always*
placed more weight on personal interviews and essays than any mechanical
measurement like grades and ranking, and interviews and essays are precisely
the parts of the admissions process in which Sudbury students shine the most
in comparison to their conventionally-schooled counterparts. And having
gotten to know people like SVS/Yale University Grads Ken Pruitt and Josh
White, I can see how the admissions officers would be overwhelmed by the
utter self-possesed competency these people practically have oozing out of
their ears.

Now, the reason I said "ten years ago" is because nowadays admissions
departments are no longer the least bit surprised at a lack of GPA or
ranking, because so many incoming students, much of them homeschoolers,
don't have them.

The ways Sudbury grads have consistently had a better time getting into the
schools of their choice are SATs, interviews and essays.

Regarding the transcripting question, this is not my area.

Joe Jackson
Fairhaven School