Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Dawn F. Harkness (dawn@harkness.net)
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:42:30 -0500

I agree with Bruce whole-heartedly.

IMO, folks who have an aversion to spirited debate are doomed to be put off
by the Sudbury Model in practice. I came to this opinion after I observed a
School Meeting at SVS in full swing. The issue being debated is fuzzy now,
but the dynamics of the meeting were deeply ingrained in my memory. A
motion had been made by a student. Several people opposed the motion,
including Dan Greenberg who gave an erudite articulation of his opposition
to the motion. The next student who was called upon to speak started with
the phrase, "Everything Danny just said was bullshit." He was called out of
order for his use of the word bullshit by the chair of the meeting. He
apologized for using an obscenity in School Meeting, but then proceeded to
launch into the most articulate explanation of why he thought the motion
should pass. He had no fear that he would be demonized for having a
dissenting opinion. He felt in his heart that he was right and he had the
facts to back it up and hopefully persuade others to vote for his point of
view. When the vote was taken, it was clear he had succeeded in his goal
because the motion passed.

That's the kind of education what I want for my daughter and that's only one
of the reasons I'm happy she is at SVS. I would reject a watered down
version of this model because I want my daughter to be prepared for living
in a vibrant democratic community. If people want a different education for
their children, they should look elsewhere.

Dawn Harkness

.