RE: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Bruce Smith (bsmith@coin.org)
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:50:07 -0700

How are we supposed to have a discussion if people label every argument
they don't like as "defensive"? Exactly how is it defensive to demand that
the participants in a discussion back up their arguments with concrete,
specific facts??

It seems to me the people most likely to cry "defensive!" are those with
the least weight behind their arguments; those wanting to "get beyond right
and wrong" often appear unable to make their point any other way (i.e., all
arguments become relative, rather than being judged on their reasoning and
evidence). People who make baseless accusations and then try to undermine
the fair challenges of others, people who can't distinguish between an
honest disagreement and a personal attack, have much to learn about the art
of discussion. You'll have trouble promoting the model if you cannot
participate in a rational debate.

Bruce