RE: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Todd Robinson (tsr@speakeasy.net)
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 17:10 -0800

Joe,

You raise a good point (re: attacking and defending). I generally find the posts by the staff, founders, and parents from SV model schools to be very direct and helpful. These posts force others to be consistent, logical, and complete when bringing up questions or concerns about the model. You, in particular, remind me of a friend of mine -- an excessively logical physics grad student -- who will never let me make off-hand comments without being able to back them up. Like most people, I become emotional about certain issues, and make comments about these issues which I intuitively feel to be right but which don't necessarily stand up to criticism. I always hate it when my friend questions my logic, but I appreciate the conversations with him. I don't ever dramatically change my beliefs, but he helps me be consistent in my thinking and to shed new light on the _implementation_ of my beliefs.

Having said that, I should note that these conversations are between two friends and are normally in person. Discussions over a listserve have the potential to turn away good-hearted people who might believe in and adopt the SV model eventually, but who like to have the opportunity to discuss things more generally before they can warm to the specifics. Usually, it's an issue of tone or of the inability for an email to convey the non-verbal clues of the spoken word. (I am not implying that you personally don't do this.)

The more I read the books from Sudbury Valley Press and the more I see emails on this listserve, the more I like the model. I am sending this email simply to ask those who have experience with the model to be a bit more gentle with others who post to this listserve. By all means though, let them know what you think.

Thanks,
Todd Robinson