Re: DSM: Sudbury Schools in an Urban setting

Freekids@aol.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:54:02 EST

Hi,

This is Stuart Williams-Ley at Cedarwood. Susan asks:

<< As a result of this conversation, I would not be in favor of requiring a
 student to be certified to leave campus.
  Does the school meeting decide these types of issues? >>

Yes. However, the Assembly (consisting of parents, students, staff, and
elected members of the public) probably should have some involvement. The
Assembly sets the school's basic policies; I think that the open campus
policy (or closed campus, or whatever you have) is truly a basic policy.
Also, I believe that receiving parents' approval provides the school with
some legal protection. Our Assembly votes every year to reaffirm the open
campus policy.

Take care,

Stuart